MOC RFC

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 02:05:16 PST 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Pierre Fernique wrote:

> Le 07/02/2014 15:18, Enrique Solano a écrit :

> > Should you want to include examples of data centres (others than VizieR)
> > providing MOCs, you can point at our GTC and Calar Alto archives:
> >
> > --> http://gtc.sdc.cab.inta-csic.es/gtc/jsp/searchform.jsp
> >
> > --> http://caha.sdc.cab.inta-csic.es/calto/jsp/searchform.jsp
> You are right that the knowledge of these sites may be important for the
> standard diffusion. However I'm not sure that the MOC standard document is the
> right place for this list. It will be difficult to maintain & update (RFC
> procedure). VizieR MOC is just cited in the document for providing examples
> which can help for MOC implementations.
> I wonder if the best place for these kind of links could be in the MOC
> application WG page : http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/MocInfo. How
> does it sound ?

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to collect a list of data services
known to be using MOCs on that page.  It doesn't have to be exhaustive,
but we can encourage people to add their services there to maintain an
idea of where it's used.  I agree that the standard itself is not an
appropriate place for that kind of list.

> > + Is MOC intersection and/or union possible from Aladin/TOPCAT? If not,
> > are there plans to implement this capability in the near future?
> The last Aladin beta version (8.xxx) provides a new menu "Coverage" allowing
> MOC union, intersection, complement, difference, filtering, generation from an
> image, or collection of images, saving...
> Also the MOC java API provides union, intersection, complement and difference,
> load and save.
> I do not know if STILTS implemented these function also. Mark ?

STILTS does not at present provide a comprehensive suite of MOC
capabilities, it just generates them from tables.  Given the MOC
library it would be easy to do that; I consider it a bit out of
scope for STILTS but I might consider adding it if people want it.