MOC RFC

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Feb 7 07:52:20 PST 2014

Hi Enrique,

Le 07/02/2014 15:18, Enrique Solano a écrit :
> Dear Mark, Pierre, Thomas
>
> Thank you for the MOC document. I have a couple of questions and
> suggestions:
First of all, I'm really please to discover that you are already using
MOC as shown in your Web pages.

> + Pag 14, Sec 3.3 (MOC examples).
>
> Should you want to include examples of data centres (others than VizieR)
> providing MOCs, you can point at our GTC and Calar Alto archives:
>
> --> http://gtc.sdc.cab.inta-csic.es/gtc/jsp/searchform.jsp
>
> --> http://caha.sdc.cab.inta-csic.es/calto/jsp/searchform.jsp
You are right that the knowledge of these sites may be important for the
standard diffusion. However I'm not sure that the MOC standard document
is the right place for this list. It will be difficult to maintain &
update (RFC procedure). VizieR MOC is just cited in the document for
providing examples which can help for MOC implementations.
I wonder if the best place for these kind of links could be in the MOC
application WG page : http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/MocInfo.
How does it sound ?

> + Is MOC intersection and/or union possible from Aladin/TOPCAT? If not,
> are there plans to implement this capability in the near future?
The last Aladin beta version (8.xxx) provides a new menu "Coverage"
allowing MOC union, intersection, complement, difference, filtering,
generation from an image, or collection of images, saving...
Also the MOC java API provides union, intersection, complement and
difference, load and save.
I do not know if STILTS implemented these function also. Mark ?

> + Appendix B
>
> What is the meaning of the coloured figure that appears in the label of
> the tables?
It is just a density map illustrating the density of the sources.

Thanks for your comments.
Pierre

P.S. I have forwarded your mail and my answer to the App mailing list.