Applications Messaging Standard

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 17:05:54 PST 2007

Doug Tody wrote:
> I guess I agree that a simple peer-to-peer interface (basically just

Peer-to-peer built correctly, from the ground up as such, isn't
necessary the 'simple' option. Although peer-to-peer based systems on
the surface are much simpler, this is not intrinsically the case. In
these systems emerging complexity may begin to appear allowing
relatively simple pieces of software to interact to create complex
and intricate behaviours which can progress the system towards
desired goals.

> a socket connection with some protocol on top) is a special case.
> However a hub and a bus differ mostly in terms of efficiency, not
> semantics.  The more general messaging infrastructures support all
> the options with various degrees of performance.

Well yes and no, there are other architectures beyond peer-to-peer
and hub/bus systems. We might not necessarily want to look at them,
but they do exist.

Al.