Applications Messaging Standard

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 16 16:44:45 PST 2007

Hi Al. -

I guess I agree that a simple peer-to-peer interface (basically just
a socket connection with some protocol on top) is a special case.
However a hub and a bus differ mostly in terms of efficiency, not
semantics.  The more general messaging infrastructures support all
the options with various degrees of performance.

So, a critical agreement is on whether having *only* peer-to-peer is
sufficient.  Even if this agreed (I hope not, as producer/consumer
messaging is fundamental, and be implemented without some
infrastructure), then the interface should be formally defined so
that this can be layered upon a more general implementation.

 	- Doug