Applications Messaging Standard

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Sat Feb 17 00:57:41 PST 2007

Hi Doug,

I don't know about others but I'm not sure of the terms you're using. It'd
be useful if you could add an eg to the terms to help muggles like me follow
you. Eg, is xml-rpc a wire protocol or interface or what?

> define is merely an "interface" (e.g., in the sense of a modern

I'm pretty sure I understand this bit: you mean the methods and parameters
used to define how a client gets the hub to do stuff?

> operations with well-defined semantics.  An "implementation" like

But the implementation has to present the interface in a way anyone can get
at. It is not much good having the interface implemented as java methods
which cannot be called by .net apps.

> least one wire
> protocol to be used to talk to the an implementation of the standard
> messaging interface.  If for example this protocol is socket-based,
> we need to specify in socket terms what the protocol is (e.g., as in
> Pat's example).  If the protocol is partly file-based, then we need
> to specify that instead.  This protocol is largely a separate matter
> from the formal messaging interface, which could be implemented over
> multiple wire protocols.

This is where you lose me. Is xml-rpc a 'wire protocol'? And doesn't the
protocol chosen enforce constraints on the messaging interface? And the
discussion about the file-based protocol is only wrt how to find the running
hub, not how to pass messages.

I think the problem I have is with conflating three separate activities into
one. We're talking about: a) finding an installed hub, getting it running
and keeping it running; b) discovery by new client apps of the running hub
and how to talk to it; c) the types of messages to be sent to the hub and
their content. These are three separate problems that we need to solve
(although one solution may cover two or more problems) and it'd certainly
help me if people could specify which problem they're addressing in their
discussions.

T.

http://www.Taglocity.com Tags: IVOA, apps