Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Wed Apr 25 07:58:13 PDT 2007

On 16.04.2007, at 11:50, Paul Harrison wrote:

> This extended "application messaging" use case seems to overlap
> hugely with the "Parameterized Application" use case of the
> Universal Worker Service (UWS-PA) that the Grid WG has developed.
> The UWS was primarily designed as a client-server protocol, so
> already has a SOAP profile, and will have a pure REST profile by
> Bejiing interop. However,  it would be conceivable to create an
> intra-desktop profile to meet the "applications messaging" use
> case, all using essentially the same registry-storable message
> description metalanguage.

Although this message was conspicuously ignored, being stubborn I
will try again.

I note that CEA (UWC-PA) already has many of the features proposed
for a PLASTIC 1.0, namely

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#AddSecurity
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#MessageIds
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#AsynchOnly
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#ParamTypes
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#ParamsByName
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh#UrlParams

However, even if you want to press on along separate tracks to the
Grid WG, I would be interested in collaborating over the mtypes idea
(though I am not convinced that it is sufficiently different from a
UCD or a UType to have a separate name), as CEA does lack a machine
decidable description of

* what an application actually does
* what a parameter means

Paul Harrison