Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Mon Apr 16 02:50:39 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I have come late to this latest long applications thread, and have a
couple of general points to make without getting into the fine detail.

There does seem to be a dichotomy in this group between the original
PLASTIC group and the more expanded "applications messaging" group. I
think that this is because PLASTIC was designed as a protocol where
essentially you issue a command to an application and it does
something, but the original issuer does not care about the results.
The proposal for applications messaging does seem to want to create
an infrastructure when the issuer does care about the results of an
application invocation so that complex "workflows" can be created
from the individual applications, which of course adds complication
compared with the PLASTIC case.

This extended "application messaging" use case seems to overlap
hugely with the "Parameterized Application" use case of the Universal
Worker Service (UWS-PA) that the Grid WG has developed. The UWS was
primarily designed as a client-server protocol, so already has a SOAP
profile, and will have a pure REST profile by Bejiing interop.
However,  it would be conceivable to create an intra-desktop profile
to meet the "applications messaging" use case, all using essentially
the same registry-storable message description metalanguage.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org