Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:09:15 PDT 2007

On 25 Apr 2007, at 15:58, Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 16.04.2007, at 11:50, Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> This extended "application messaging" use case seems to overlap
>> hugely with the "Parameterized Application" use case of the
>> Universal Worker Service (UWS-PA) that the Grid WG has developed.
>> The UWS was primarily designed as a client-server protocol, so
>> already has a SOAP profile, and will have a pure REST profile by
>> Bejiing interop. However,  it would be conceivable to create an
>> intra-desktop profile to meet the "applications messaging" use
>> case, all using essentially the same registry-storable message
>> description metalanguage.
>
> Although this message was conspicuously ignored, being stubborn I
> will try again.

Hi Paul,
I think you have a good case here.  This may well be a better fit to
invoking application-specific "task-like" functionality than PLASTIC
is, even on a single machine.   The self-describing features of CEA
make it a good solution.
It's conceivable that you could come up with a UWS-PA/CEA profile
that meshed quite well with PLASTIC/SAMP, allowing people to reuse
libraries (and brain power).   We should discuss it at Beijing.

John