tehoretical SEDs in VO applications

Ivo Busko busko at stsci.edu
Thu Nov 16 05:35:09 PST 2006

Hi, Miguel and all

As the specview developer, I would like to add my 0.02 cents to the
discussion. In fact, I would like to warn about the use of specview to
generate "valid" VO-compliant files.

The "Save as" and "Save" options write data in xml files (no FITS
support yet) following the standards set by the Spectrum Data Model in
its 0.92 incarnation. But the code is still incomplete as far as
metadata goes. Not all valid metadata described in 0.92 is actually
passed thru and ends up in the output xml file. Other errors and
inconsistencies may exiist as well. My poiny is, don't take specview's
output as a well rounded, finished example of a VO-compliant file. It's
work in progress.

Besides, there were significant developments in the Data Model model
since 0.92, and none of these are implemented in specview yet.

Miguel, could you please provide me with a copy of the HTS data from I
zw 18? I would like to see what is going on. In the examples I have, the
entire file generated by specview is read back, even when multiple
tables are present. And, what exactly do you mean by "at least in
ascii"? Specview supports a simple ascii table format, but that has
nothing to do with the VO xml format.

Cheers,

-Ivo

  *  Ivo C. Busko, PhD                        e-mail: busko at stsci.edu *
  *  Senior Systems Software Engineer            Voice: (410)338-4472 *
  *  Astronomy Tools and Applications              FAX: (410)338-4767 *
  *  Engineering and Software Services Division                       *
  *  Space Telescope Science Institute           http://www.stsci.edu *
  *  3700 San Martin Drive                                            *
  *  Baltimore MD 21218-2410  USA                                     *