SAMP/PLASTIC bridge?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 02:35:31 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Juan de Dios Santander Vela wrote:

> El 03/03/2009, a las 13:15, Allan Brighton escribió:
>
> > I'm just adding Plastic support to jskycat (in addition to SAMP) and I was
> > wondering if anyone had made any progress on a SAMP/PLASTIC bridge?
> >
> > It seems like it could be a problem that you have to choose between the two
> > and can't have both at once.
>

> I am trying to build such a bridge, and in my initial development there were
> problems with the class loader when trying to combine both PLASTIC and JSAMP,
> so that I am now working in a two-pieces bridge with a common (SAMPish, but
> not exactly) interchange between the two.

Juan,

are the class loader problems that you mention related to requiring
different versions of the Apache XML-RPC library for PlasKit and JSAMP?

If so, you can get round this by using the 'internal' rather than
'apache' XML-RPC implementation in JSAMP - this is the default in
JSAMP 0.3, though not in previous versions.
TOPCAT does this and successfully combines presence of the
uk.ac.starlink.plastic and org.astrogrid.samp classes in the same
application (it doesn't use both at the same time, but it could do).
I think Aladin does the same thing.

I'm happy to discuss this further on- or off-list if you still want to
pursue this approach (are you going to the AIDA meeeing in Strasbourg?)