Issues relating to simple data and metadata queries

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue May 1 09:41:39 PDT 2007

My take on this issue is that the service definitely has to know how to write
a VOTable with it's own result metadata and clients of the service have to
know how to parse that VOTable metadata too -- so the VOTable option is
clearly a very low barrier to entry on both sides. This applies to the
metadata of a query result and for that part at least I think it is clear
that VOTable metadata should be included in the response. This makes query
results readily usable in VOTable-aware apps like Topcat, VOPlot, etc.

Once you go past that (to metadata about what tables are available and how to
use them) we have to spec it: which columns have indices, which columns have
uniqueness constaints, which columns one can/should use to join two tables,
the cardinality of the join, etc. This is not so trivial as it looks; my
experience with maybe 3-4 different RDBMSs is that they each provide some of
the info and other important bits are embedded in the data model
(cardinality, for example). But you have to know these things to write decent
queries.

For the VOResource metadata, I am not familiar with how richly one can
describe a set of related tables. If someone with that knowledge can describe
briefly how VOResource can or cannot handle this stuff, that would help (me
and others, I suspect)... specifically: keys, indices (hints), join
cardinality, that kind of stuff.

Pat

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045