Issues relating to simple data and metadata queries

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue May 1 08:29:43 PDT 2007

Hi All -

It is good to see some conceptual/technical discussion and analysis,
even if we don't all agree yet.

The asynchronous mechanism (stageData) is still only a concept and
has not been specified, so any analysis of the requirements for
long running table queries is welcome.  Since the specification of
a long running job is data dependent though, and can be specified
differently for an image or a table, while the basic job control
and data management mechansims (probably based on the UWS pattern
and VOSpace) should be largely independent of the data type, it is
not clear why there should be any fundamental issue with a similar
approach.  Basically the pattern is job estimation, submission,
monitoring, and eventual data retrieval or delivery.

Considering only the synchronous part of the interface, I wonder if
there is any possibility of agreement if we permit both VOTable and
XML/VOResource output for metadata queries?  This would provide both
a uniform query mechanism to make things simpler for most client
applications, plus XML for those who have existing software which
requires it.  So long as the information content is the same (or
a subset), serialization to either format (or CSV for that matter)
is pretty simple.

 	- Doug