Volunteers for VOEvent registration?

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 18:05:52 CEST 2020

Hi Markus,

Line 705 of your modified VOEvent.tex file says:

   "Public VOEvent streams MUST be registered in the VO"

Based on my experience of talking to people in the community who are
using, publishing and consuming VOEvents, this is not actually what
people want. In fact there have been a number of informal requests to
remove the requirement to use an IVORN as part of the event identifier
and allow services to use their own URI schema for identifiers.

This hasn't been proposed as a change to the standard yet, mainly
because no one has worked out the details of how an alternative scheme
would work yet. However, given that there may be a number of VOEvent
users who would like to make that change, I would be wary of adding more
text to the document re-enforcing the requirement for services to be
registered and excluding the use of non-registered services in the
future.

VOEvent is the only IVOA standard that actually requires services to be
registered. It is quite possible to setup and use a standards compliant
Cone, TAP, SSA, SIA or SLAP service without having to register it. You
just need to pass the endpoint URL to the client.

Requiring all services to be registered has in the past acted as a
barrier to entry for people who wanted to set up a small experimental
services.

In light of this, would you accept a slightly weaker version of the
statement on line 705, to say that "IF a service does use an IVORN as
part of the event identifiers, then the base IVORN SHOULD be registered,
and the following section defines how ..."

That leaves room for others to come after and propose an alternative URI
scheme for event identifiers if they want to.

Thanks,
-- Dave

--------
Dave Morris