Draft VOEvent 2.1

Roy Williams roy at roe.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 14:43:57 CET 2017

Hi Baptiste
I appreciate that you wish to handle events that occur in more complex WhereWhen specifications, such as relative to other planets or satellites, or as a probability distribution (LIGO/Virgo).

In your document "VOEvent 2.0 Schema limitations", there are three problems stated with VOEvent 2.0, and one of those is about gravitational wave probability distributions. For this latter case, a solution already exists within the existing schema, and has been adopted. Perhaps there are similarly simple, flexible ways to handle the other two cases? If LIGO/Virgo can work with typed Groups, can't you too? Please explain why new and complex XML schema is a better solution.

The real problem though, lies with VOEvent itself being (a) tied to XML and (b) in a state of flux.

By extending the schema, you make it much more difficult to express VOEvent in other formats such as JSON or AVRO, formats more suitable for the upcoming ZTF and LSST event streams. However, if we convert the existing 2.0 schema to AVRO, we can have it all ready by the time these new event firehoses are switched on. But if you require the IVOA to approve a 2.1 schema, they will be arguing for the next two years, the standard will be seen as unfinished, and astronomers will not want to work with it. Therefore something else, something ad hoc, will be used for ZTF and LSST, and VOEvent will lose its progress.

Roy

---
Royal Observatory Edinburgh
roy at roe.ac.uk