VOEvent transport protocol Working draft online

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 24 16:34:45 CEST 2015

On 9/24/15 2:10 AM, Jean-Paul Le Fèvre wrote:

> However, until now, I'm not really convinced that a new protocol is
> necessary to broadcast the VOEvent messages.

Hi Jean-Paul

Both LIGO and GCN are quite invested in VOEvents with VTP. However the
important one here is GCN -- the place where all the world's transient
astronomy community sends and receives the most important rapid events.

SVOM will gain attention of the follow-up community if they can
distribute events through GCN, since that community is already hooked
into rapid responds to GCN Notices ot GCN VOEvents.

It is not a matter of picking a protocol based on computer science
aesthetics. It is a matter of picking a protocol that the follow-up
astronomers already know how to read and react to.

Roy

---
Caltech LIGO
roy at caltech.edu