pygcn: anonymous VOEvent client for receiving GCN/TAN notices in XML format

John Swinbank j.swinbank at uva.nl
Wed Feb 12 01:01:15 PST 2014

Indeed, this looks great — thanks Leo & Roy. I’ve added a link to <http://www.voevent.org/>.

> Seems to work as advertised.  You'll likely want a “rehash” before the pygcn-listen.  The output ends up in the rather obscure python.../site-packages/gcn named by IVORN with embedded codes in the file names.  Could benefit from obvious command line arguments for setting the directory, etc.

Worth noting that the basic VTP implementation here isn’t GCN specific: it should be possible to reuse the Python networking code to connect to any VTP broker. I don’t know whether Leo has any interest in taking that further, but even if not this could be a convenient starting point for anybody building their own VTP client.

Cheers,

John