new topic: time domain bestiary

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:26:31 PDT 2014

A variety of purposes related to the evolving nature of astronomy in general and my employer in particular.  The InterOp is coming up and those going will be discussing (from a recent message from the TDIG jefe):

	- SimpleTimeSeries (Matthew)
	- VOEventRegExt (Matthew)
	- VOEvent Transport Protocol (John)
	- VOEventContainer

These protocols/standards are in support of a mission to carry out diverse programs of astronomical time domain science investigations.  IVOA Recommendations are themselves purely philosophical until they are instantiated in systems deployed around the astronomical community.  Systems that themselves are of mostly philosophical interest unless they are organized into a larger interoperating system of systems developed, operated and maintained with enough support to keep them in the field.

The resulting science may also be said to be purely philosophical, whatever that says about the techniques, infrastructure and logistics of the practice of astronomy, time domain or otherwise.

Rob