Hotwired 3 TDIG Breakout

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Sat Nov 16 18:03:44 PST 2013

The fundamental problem isn’t to zip or not to zip (gzipped tar files should be just as good).

The problem is that the “manifest" was supposed to contain basic info normally present in a complete VOEvent document so that the packaged events could reference it and hence be smaller.  This is an understandable approach from the perspective of the LSST but means that the multiple original events issued in such a package cannot be fully viewed outside of the package without the manifest.

This suggests to me that we should include a generic “include” mechanism for VOEvents:  the LSST promises to maintain it’s own list of referenced content so that a stripped down event can be reconstituted without reference to the package in which it was distributed.

However, I took the standard VOEvent example and looked to see how to trim it down to it’s bare-bones size, also with the aid of external references, but frankly, I don’t see how much gain is to be had.  It would be nice to have a brute force complete LSST VOEvent to play with….

Is isn’t the sending of packages of complete VOEvents in a zip file enough data compression?   For this, we don’t need anything new.
Rick