gravitational waves and VOEvent

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Wed May 25 11:08:53 PDT 2011

I would like to ask this group about rapid follow-up of gravitational
wave events, specifically what sort of information would be most useful
to the observer community when Notices go out in ~2015. The question is:
What tools might be used to establish context, decide on follow-up? DS9?
WWT? IRAF? What else? How can we make sure that LIGO data can be easily
imported into popular tools?

The observation from LIGO will not be well localized, rather a wide
probability map on the sky that may span several constellations -- see
for example (*) . It could be represented in several ways: FITS on an
RA/Dec grid, FITS on a Healpix grid, a set of contour lines of
probability, a set of 'likely galaxies', or something greatly simplified
from the full skymap, what? We are looking for suggestions from the
community about what would be the most useful such representations for
observers.

Thank you
Roy Williams
LIGO Caltech