Early-bird registration for IAU Symposium 285

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon May 23 13:58:16 PDT 2011

Howdy,

The chairs of IAU Symposium 285, "New Horizons in Time Domain Astronomy", Elizabeth Griffin and the IVOA's own Bob Hanisch, report:

> Early-bird registration is still open for IAU Symposium 285, "New Horizons in
> Time Domain Astronomy", to be held in Oxford, UK during 19-23 September 2011.
> Please visit the conference website to register, reserve accommodations, submit
> abstracts, and view the preliminary outline programme:
>
> http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/IAUS285/
>
> We expect the symposium to be over-subscribed and we do recommend registering
> as soon as possible.
>
> Please note the following important dates:
>
> June 15th - Abstract deadline and early registration closes. The registration
> fee increases for registrations after this date.
>
> August 19th - Late registration closes (including reservations for
> accommodation)
>
> Symposium Theme
> ---------------
> Variability pervades the cosmos.  Modelling and interpreting variability is key
> to understanding the formation, growth, evolution, and destruction of cosmic
> objects, from stars to planets, from galaxies to interstellar grains.  Studies
> of variability are a key and growing component of research in contemporary
> astrophysics, and are so important that projects and instruments are dedicated
> to the examination of just one form of variability, or one aspect of its
> diverse manifestations.
>
> Because variability manifests itself in many complicated ways and is dependent
> on intrinsic astrophysics and observation and data analysis techniques,
> research efforts tend to be stovepiped by sub-discipline. The possible
> existence of commonalities between different phenomena and different observing
> methods has tended to be overlooked.  This symposium will reverse that trend by
> examining the phenomenon of variability itself, crossing traditional
> wavelength/frequency and time-scale boundaries in the process.  It will cover
> all aspects of time-domain astronomy, and will aim to draw out a more profound
> understanding of the physics involved.
>
> Plenary sessions will feature reviews by leaders in the respective fields,
> while separate focus-groups on three afternoon will explore ways to harness
> technology and collaboration so as to meet newly-identified challenges in
> specified aspects of time-domain astronomy.

This shows every sign of being a pivotal meeting for time variability studies of all sorts, including those pertaining to the transient alert and follow-up paradigm of VOEvent.  The meeting will include a 3 hour workshop on VOEvent-related technologies conducted by Roy Williams, myself, and Tara Murphy.

I know that several folks from the VOEvent WG preregistered, but don't see their names on the participant list.  (But then, I don't see mine yet either.)  Please note that you have to go back and register officially :-)

Thanks!

Rob