VOEvent References

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Mar 21 09:35:05 PDT 2011

On Mon 2011-03-21T15:44:09 +0000, Norman Gray hath writ:
> I know of the 'vnd.'  route, and have heard of some sort of MIME
> fast-track, but wasn't sure if these were the same thing.  Do you know
> of the relationship between them?

RFC 4288 changed the rules.  Section 3.1 has the notion of the
"standards tree".
	Registrations in the standards tree MUST be approved by the
	IESG and MUST correspond to a formal publication by a
	recognized standards body.
That's supposed to mean that after the international standard exists,
the internet part of getting the MIME type is just "announce and expect
approval".

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855