Bringing VOEvent v2.0 home to roost

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:42:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Mar 15, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> As Matthew says, how would this interact with the registry description of the corresponding VOEventStream?
>
> So basically you are saying that type should not be a URI, but rather a mime-type.  Perhaps such an attribute would better be called just "mime".  And there should also be a role attribute.  In both cases we would need to define the acceptable values either explicitly, or perhaps via the registry?
>
> Or perhaps a URI-typed "type" attribute in addition?  Or is omitting this the real benefit?
>
> Once we sort out the options, perhaps it's better to move forward from the v1.11 language:
>
>> 	3.9.2 type — The type of the document. Allowed values are "voevent", to reference a previously issued VOEvent packet (in whole or in part);"url", for a MIME-typed URL; "rtml", to refer to an RTML [15] document (typically the one used to drive the telescope that made the observation(s) resulting in the event), or — "ivorn", to refer to IVO resources. The default value is "url".
>
> In the absence of rapid convergence, the chair suggests we leave the v1.11 language in place and hold the issue over for v2.1.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this decision. There is nothing particularly new in dereferencable URIs being used for typing and it's not exactly rocket science. In practice, a small subset will almost certainly be in common usage and you can hardcode these if you want but an enumerated list is a real headache and not extensible without some form of versioning.

I'm also somewhat concerned that this discussion is happening with a specification that has been promoted to PR. This does rather suggest that it is not mature enough.

	Cheers,

	Matthew