Bringing VOEvent v2.0 home to roost

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:36:27 PDT 2011

As Matthew says, how would this interact with the registry description of the corresponding VOEventStream?

So basically you are saying that type should not be a URI, but rather a mime-type.  Perhaps such an attribute would better be called just "mime".  And there should also be a role attribute.  In both cases we would need to define the acceptable values either explicitly, or perhaps via the registry?

Or perhaps a URI-typed "type" attribute in addition?  Or is omitting this the real benefit?

Once we sort out the options, perhaps it's better to move forward from the v1.11 language:

> 	3.9.2 type — The type of the document. Allowed values are "voevent", to reference a previously issued VOEvent packet (in whole or in part);"url", for a MIME-typed URL; "rtml", to refer to an RTML [15] document (typically the one used to drive the telescope that made the observation(s) resulting in the event), or — "ivorn", to refer to IVO resources. The default value is "url".

In the absence of rapid convergence, the chair suggests we leave the v1.11 language in place and hold the issue over for v2.1.

Whether tables (or fields of tables) can contain references is a separate issue.  Strong opinions on this?  Perhaps "no" for v2.0 with the thought to revisit the issue for v2.1 (hopefully under a different chair :-)

Rob