NOAO Symposium Announcement

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 8 15:08:11 PST 2010

More information on the NOAO 50th anniversary symposia.

From: Sidney Wolff <swolff at noao.edu>
Date: January 8, 2010 3:48:32 PM GMT-07:00
To: currents-list
Subject: NOAO Symposium Announcement

SYMPOSIA CELEBRATING THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF
THE NATIONAL OBSERVATORY

In 2010 we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the dedication of
Kitt Peak National Observatory, the start of what has become NOAO and
NSO. As part of the celebration, we are hosting two symposia in Tucson
to highlight some of the scientific achievements of the past 50 years
and to discuss the scientific opportunities to come, if not in the
next 50 years, then at least for the next decade.

The first symposium is entitled From First Light to Newborn Stars and
is scheduled for March 14-17. This will be followed by The Eventful
Universe from March 17-20. Both symposia will include invited talks,
contributed papers, poster sessions, and breakout sessions where
people can explore problems of common interest in depth.

On March 17th, we have scheduled a special event: “Celebrating 50
Years.” Both symposia will meet together on that day for talks by our
distinguished invited speakers (Vera Rubin, Nick Suntzeff, Heather
Morrison, Charlie Lada, and Alan Dressler are all confirmed). More
details about the program for each symposium along with the
registration forms can be found by clicking on the links above. If you
wish to register for both meetings you need to sign up twice via the
respective meeting pages. The registration for “Celebrating 50 Years”
is included in the registration for either symposium. For those
interested in attending only the events on March 17th, one-day
registration options are available via this link.