Software for Connecting to the VOEvent Backbone

Bob Denny rdenny at dc3.com
Thu Feb 25 16:36:08 PST 2010

> Bob,
>
> The "typical VOEvent" example
> (http://ivoa.net/Documents/REC/VOE/VOEvent-20061101.html#examples) from
> RAPTOR fails to validate on your page (also in lenient mode). What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> Josh

So the error I get is

Validation error at line 73 position 10
	The element 'Why' has invalid child element 'Inference'. List of possible
elements expected: 'Reference'.

Yeah... I found some messages in the real world which had Inference -before-
Description and none which had it afterward. In making my mini-schema I had to
force the ordering of the elements in Why. I chose the real world over that
sample. The reasons for needing to specify ordering at that point in the schema
are subtle schema-babble. Beer talk at Eventful Universe if necessary (though it
would be terminally boring outside of a standards committee setting!).

When we go to V2, I hope to have some input to the schema (hopefully STC-less
and suitable for automatic binding generators) to make some areas order
dependent instead of free-form.

To "fix" it. move the Inference stuff before Description and it will validate
without needing lenient.

I expect some other issues like this - the process of making the mini-schema is
imperfect but pragmatic :-)

  -- Bob