VOEvent priorities

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Feb 3 13:25:24 PST 2010

The artifice of any data structure is a trade-off between elegance and
completeness.  Any of the IVOA "Simple" protocols have the option of
simply omitting some feature deemed too inelegant.

In the case of VOEvent, the key design trade-off was in supporting
generic params instead of attempting to construct a complete
observation data model and using innumerable specific XML elements/
attributes.

Dick's comments are a good example of where we need to be focusing our
attention.  Which features of time series should be simply omitted,
and which can be addressed by (for instance) pointing to external
complex content?

Rob