VOEvent priorities

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 3 09:37:20 PST 2010

Joshua Bloom wrote:
>  The idea of timeseries is that it has a time axis. We should be able to represent gravity chirp signals, sn light curves, pulsar pulse shapes, etc. But it's certainly not a kitchen sink on purpose. Those examples you propose don't pass the smell test of being a time series.

Josh

I note that the web page about the proposed "simpleTimeSeries" (*) does
not say how to represent any time series except for light curves in
optical wavebands. In fact it says there: "The primary use for
SimpleTimeseries ... is to exchange light-curve data ..."

So how other time series be represented in the proposed schema? Gravity
chirp signals, list of image URLs, ephemeris, etc etc. Looks like  NOTE
and DVAL can be combined (?) to allow general time series to be
represented. I am not clever enough with schema to see what is really
allowed.

Could I ask that either:
-- the web page include examples on representing time series that are
not light curves?
Or
-- rename the schema to reflect its lesser scope, perhaps call it
simpleLightCurve?

Cheers
Roy

(*) http://dotastro.org/simpletimeseries/