VOEvent session

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 15 23:13:25 PST 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Rob Seaman wrote:
> It seems clear that IVOA is moving away from what
> Doug calls "complex XML with schema verification".  My question, I
> guess, is whether IVOA deprecates "complex XML" or rather "schema
> verification" or rather the combination.

While I would agree that IVOA "is moving away from" XML-Schema based
schemas, I would say it is far from deprecating them.  While I can't say
what we would choose if we redesigned the registry today, I can say that
the VOResource extensible format is crucial to registry operations
precisely because it can be readily validated.  Having written service
validaters that checks VOTables for required content, the alternative is
*much* harder.

cheers,
Ray