Consensus

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 10 16:50:09 PST 2010

On 12/10/2010 4:21 PM, Arnold Rots wrote:

 > This is a totally inadequate format since it carries no metadata
 > whatsoever. This leads us back to pre-VO days where no one bothered to
 > include complete metadata, because, after all, all friends and buddies
 > knew exactly what was meant - or so one pretended.

The Table element can carry the metadata that Doug Tody defined in the
recent Time Series document -- if we allow the Params and Fields to have
a Utype. The metadata then goes into the utype/ucd/unit/description
attributes. Mike wrote "IVOA is now defining a common understanding of
TimeSeries", and I take that to mean the document that Doug wrote:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/LightCurves/STSP.pdf

So I don't understand -- perhaps you mean that my simple example light
curve does not carry enough metadata? Then I agree entirely.... it was
just an illustration!

 > I suppose I can point to stcTab.xsd till I am blue in the face and
 > still have no one take this stuff seriously.

We decided to follow VOTable, another IVOA standard, rather than the STC
version of table.

 > I also proposed a compromise last spring that I would have been
 > willing to defend as IVOA-compliant, but there did not seem to be any
 > interest in that, either.

Perhaps this would be a good time to start that discussion again?

Roy