Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Apr 9 15:53:16 PDT 2010

Right.  I said something similar recently (if less eloquently) and it
seemed to generate friction so I decided to go with the "backwards
compatibility" phrasing, if less precise.

I believe some projects continue to parse the packets as raw XML,
rather than using schema.  The intent is that a v1.1 compliant packet
should be compliant with the v2.0 prose specification.  The chair
takes no position on how packets should best be parsed - but clearly
others in the WG do :-)

The v2.0 prose, however, will be carefully vetted against a v2.0
schema that is robust and efficient.  The obvious strategy to carry
all this off is to keep the standard as simple as practical, including
any streamlining of STC plumbing as well as the prudent addition of
the advanced features of time series and/or tables and orbital
elements/ephemerides.

It is my opinion that omitting the advanced features would in reality
result in *more* complex packets since the same richness of semantic
expression would have to be crammed into grouped params, a data
structure less suitable.

Rob
---