Querying Params

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 9 14:47:05 PDT 2009

First I would like to thank Matthew for his excellent work in pushing
the SEAP document!

Just to follow up in my own words too. What surprised me about the spec
is that the query is not just for events where the Params satisfy a
criterion (eg Magnitude < 18), but also for events that simple *have* a
given Param (eg those with Param called "Magnitude"). I do not
understand the use-case for asking if there is a specific Param name in
the event. It is like a SQL query which asks for records with X>3 and
also for records from any table that has a column called Y. But somebody
must have requested this at some time, so it must stay I suppose.

The units thing seems even more extreme, as in "Give me all the events
that have a Param whose unit is centimeter". I cannot imagine why such a
thing would be wanted, even given the confusion over unit naming -- are
those with "centimeter" the same as those with "cm"?

The same kind of difficulty comes in searching against UCD: if I ask for
events which have a Param whose UCD is "phot.flux" (photon flux) should
it also let through a variation like "phot.flux.sb" (surface brightness)
or "phot.flux.density.sb" (Flux density surface brightness)?

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670