Newbie question : how to specify a source instrument in a VOEvent ?

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 5 08:22:39 PST 2009

Jean-Paul Le Fèvre wrote:
> However I'm confused about what sounds inconsistent to me :
> the recommendation 1.11 states that the resource key of the IVORN must be the publisher identifier (key point written in bold face in the document)
> while the voeventstream working draft proposes that the resource key is the stream name.
> I would appreciate comments about that.

We are building new wording for VOEvent 2.0, specifically to change that
talk of publishers.

The correct interpretation of the IVORN should be one of "event stream"
and event ID. So for example if you make a stream for SVOM ECLAIR
instrument, then the IVORN for an event might look like this:
  ivo://svom.eclair#123

Then the VO registry will contain the definition of the stream, under
the name
   ivo://svom.eclair
which will have the parameter definitions and semantics.

Hope this helps
Would welcome comments from anyone else on the list
Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670