A modest proposal for VOEvent

jberthier jerome.berthier at imcce.fr
Fri Feb 20 17:57:15 PST 2009

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> My goal is to create a draft of the v2.0 VOEvent specification to be
> ratified by the WG at Hotwired II.  These are the issues and my
> proposals for each:
>
> 1) Orbital elements.  See appended message from Francesco.  Pan-STARRS
> has been working with the Minor Planet Center to define a
> VOEvent-based specification.  We should follow their lead.  The MPC is
> the only game in town.
>
>> Following our conversation, here is what we would like to use.
>>
>> Our orbital elements are in cometary form and so something like this
>> would be nice:
>> <orbit>
>>  <q units="AU" value=123 />
>>  <e units="" value=123 />
>>  <i units="deg" value=123 />
>>  <node units="deg" value=123 />
>>  <time_peri units="MJD" value=123 />
>>  <arg_peri units="deg" value=123 />
>>
>>  <epoch units="MJD" value=123 />

Why put the value of the parameters in an attribute (e.g. <q units="AU"
value=123 />) and not as a value of the element (<q units="AU">123</q>)?
Is there any reason?

jerome

--
 --- Dr. Jerome Berthier ------------------ Phone: +33 (0)14051 2261 --
     Institut de mecanique celeste            Fax: +33 (0)14633 2834 --