Transport Protocol 1.1 and Cross Platform Broker Implementation

Bob Denny rdenny at dc3.com
Wed Aug 26 16:41:00 PDT 2009

> I'm waiting for Bruno to reply to my plea for allowing me to submit in PDF.

It looks like I'm going to have to re-write these IVOA Notes from scratch, in
HTML. I spent hours trying to save from Word as HTML and converting PDF to HTML.
ALl tools and methods produce trash. The IVOA Document Standards Version 1.2 at

http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/DocStd/20090302/PR-DocStd-1.2-20090302.html

states

> 1.3 Format
> The standard format for IVOA documents is HTML, though any document
> preparation tools may be used that allow for the publication of HTML and that
> retain the standard formatting elements and style.  Document templates are
> provided for MSWord and HTML at http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/templates/.
> Final Recommendations should also be available as printable PDF in A4 (and,
> optionally, US 8.5 x 11”) size.

However, if you use the MSWord template, it results in your having a document
that cannot be directly or indirectly turned into HTML "that retain[s] the
standard formatting elements and style". No matter how you convert, the result
is trash. And the RFC is closed.

I apologize for venting my frustration here. I just wanted to communicate my
desire and efforts to help the VOEvent Network grow and mature, and my
willingness (within reason) to provide my time and capabilities to this effort
without any direct compensation.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in reviewing the VOEvent Transport Protocol 1.1,
or wants to try out the Dakota Broker, please contact me at rdenny at dc3.com and I
can provide you with the materials.

  -- Bob