VOEvent and GRBs

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Apr 25 04:30:46 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 7:30 PM, Alasdair Allan wrote:

>> As far as I can see, this is the first explicit mention of direct
>> VOEvent triggering on GRBs. Yeah, VOEvent.
>
> Err Josh, I've been doing this with UKIRt for years...!?

I think he meant the combination of VOEvent being explicitly mentioned
in the GCN notices.  Scott has been doing this for even longer.  Bob
and Arne's contributions are very welcome!

VOEvent is a protocol.  We seek not to supplant event publishers who
have come before:

	http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/grbtu_c06/bloom/oh/21.html

...but rather, to provide a common technology path forward using
interoperable semantics and infrastructure - and, not least - through
a mutual community.  One protocol, but many publishers reachable from
the same conforming network of brokers and subscription agents - and
feeding event messages to all interested real and virtual, robotic and
human-mediated astronomical facilities.

In the mean time our group has passed a gratifyingly rich number of
milestones in a very short period of time.  This is the jigsaw theory
of VOEvent - each of our many pieces join to make a larger picture of
speedy and reliable delivery.

Rob
---
The trick is to combine both speed and reliability: