The State of VOEvent

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 6 17:27:29 PDT 2008

Rob et al
I enclose some notes from VOEvent meeting last September. I believe the
correct path forward is to extend Josh's UCD structure with utypes, such
as some of those defined below. These have a very precise meaning -- the
parser can simply check for specific utypes to build its data
structures. Much less fluffy than UCD.
Roy

VOLightCurve

Proposed Scope:
“EM flux variation of astrophysical objects”
Can we use a common format
Based on VOTable and Char semantics

---
Error model
systematic, statistical
errLow, errHigh
lower limits
Flux model
Magnitude, Jansky?
Filter model
Name, max and min wavelength, link to something
Time model
heliocentric JD ... enough? Lets hope so!
duration of observation / time error
---
Choose parts of the IVOA data model for use as utypes, taken from
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/SpectrumDM.html

FluxAxis.Value
FluxAxis.Unit
FluxAxis.Accuracy.StatError
FluxAxis.Accuracy.StatErrLow FluxAxis.Accuracy.StatErrHigh
FluxAxis.Accuracy.SysError
TimeAxis.Value TimeAxis.Coverage.Bounds.Extent
SpectralAxis.Value SpectralAxis.Coverage.Bounds.Extent
Curation.Publisher
Curation.Reference
Curation.PublisherID
Curation.Version
Curation.ContactName
Curation.ContactEmail
Curation.Date
Curation.PublisherDID
Target.NameTarget.Description Target.Class Target.pos
DataID.Collection
DataID.DatasetID DataID.CreatorDID
DataID.Date
---
Also error box on position
General param mechanism for metadata, eg orbital period

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670