IVOA and ADASS?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:06:02 PDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Andrew Drake wrote:

> Indeed, such as the discovery of possible asteroids, or the
> occultation
> of a stars by asteroids, or the discovery of high proper motion
> stars, etc.
> Let's not make the timeseries in VOEvents geared toward lightcurves.
> With PQ and Catalina we have already been including timeseries data
> in VOEvents where the astrometric information is much more useful
> for classification than the photometry.

Hmmm, not sure what I think about the best way to represent proper
motion.

Time series are also not meant to address the expression of orbital
elements.  STC should serve nicely for this.

That said, I agree with the underlying point that "light curve"
implies a too narrow interpretation.  Raw astrometry might be
expressed as a sequence of follow-up packets, or might be expressed as
"tabular" data in a TimeSeries element.  The former is trivially
supported in all cases.  The latter, as Andrew says, is not a light
curve but is still a series of measurements versus time.

Rob