IVOA and ADASS?

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:22:49 PDT 2008

>  If the goal is broad community acceptance, where people are putting
> out their light curves in this form, then I think the standard needs
> to be more open to multiple time representations

Community acceptance is a double-edged sword: for the data *provider*,
you get acceptance by allowing them to use any kind of time they like
(including Ganymedian!). Yet for the data *consumer*, you get acceptance
by putting it all in the same frame.

*Somebody* has to do the translation, just choose whether it is provider
or consumer that does it.

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670