IVOA and ADASS?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 2 12:00:17 PDT 2008

I support Roy's call for simplicity, but TimeSeries seems as simple as
LightCurve to me.  VOEvent permits aggregating general purpose params,
and so should the time series.  I don't believe this fact alone will
complicate the new schema or its usage.

Also, Roy is right to aim for the simplest possible time framework
here.  We are not looking to duplicate all of STC - and if some
application does require arbitrarily complex time handling, a time
series can be constructed from individual follow-up packets.  However,
long established astronomical usage provides for expressing flavors of
both topocentric and barycentric time scales.  We should be guided -
here as elsewhere - by usage.  What is the minimum number of time
scales required?  Start with that for v2.0.

For the specification the more basic question is whether a time series
is to be expressed in a point-like or vector-like fashion.  That is,
in particular, is each time series data point timestamped individually
(and absolutely) - or rather, is a relative vector coupled with an
overall absolute timestamp?  I tend to think (at the moment) that it
should look something like [StartTime, deltaT1, deltaT2,
deltaT3, ...]  For some applications, a heuristic for expressing an
even grid would be better:  [Start, delta, 1, N].  In the spirit of
Roy's comments, we should pick one and only one of these strategies.

Ah!  I see more messages arriving!

Rob