IVOA and ADASS?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 2 12:34:01 PDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Andrew Drake wrote:

> Let's not limit this to lightcurves.
> Astrometric timeseries is going to be important
> to the major event generators.

I think the only major event generator we're interested in is the
Almighty :-)

A VOEvent packet is a report alerting the community to an event that
has occurred in the sky.

> Also, although some of may disagree, I think an
> event is really part of a timeseries not the
> other way around.

VOEvent already supports both points of view.  A time series can be
constructed internal to a packet using the param mechanism (this is
one of the examples in the spec) - or a time series can be constructed
externally as a thread of follow-up packets.  For v2.0 we are seeking
to improve the internal mechanism.

Perhaps we will also discover some desirable improvements related to
time domain follow-ups.  Most of our follow-up use cases have been
rather ad hoc in nature - target of opportunity observing modes, for
instance.  Are there any aspects of issuing a rapid sequence of
several related, sequentially timestamped, packets that we need to
explore and enhance?  Do we think this will represent a significant
fraction of the usage?  After all, one key concept is to traverse a
thread of follow-up packets and abstract the evolving behavior of the
source(s) and related (and perhaps only inferred) celestial object(s).

Rob