VOEvent v2.0, some thoughts

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:30:29 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:29 AM, Alasdair Allan wrote:

>>> Okay, I'll finish it this time. Matthew, do you want to write
>>> something up for Jabber? I was thinking of trying to push this
>>> into A&A perhaps.
>>
>> Let's get a draft, no matter how grotty and start to pass it
>> around.  A rather inclusive author list methinks - please include
>> Phil Warner as well as me from NOAO - I guess start with the
>> attendees from the transport meeting at VOE II and add profligately.
>
> It's talking about the HTN stuff as well, so there will be HTN
> authors. It's going to be a long, long, list. Although possibly not
> as long as the Science paper I ended up being 50th author on
> recently (and I was far from last as well)...

There's a lot of overlap, of course, so I don't think it will be that
bad.  Not all VOEvent folks are directly involved in transport and I
presume that applies to HTN as well - but the more the merrier,
certainly.

> We should possibly think about (at the 2.0 stage?) actually
> publishing the VOEvent standard as a paper as well. It's all very
> well pointing towards an IVOA URL, but it's not as good as a paper
> in a journal is it? We should publish it...

Can somebody comment on any general IVOA policy for this?  As with so
many other activities that VOEvent is pushing (well, "shoving" might
not be too aggressive a characterization) forward, we should be
delighted to be the IVOA pacesetter for refereed publication of
standards, too.  I hesitate to speculate who the journals might
possibly find for referees appropriate to IVOA activities :-)

A&A (and Suppl.) welcomed the FITS standard - I don't see why that
might not apply to IVOA standards like VOEvent.  I'm not looking
forward to translating HTML to LaTeX, but that's better the reverse, I
suppose.  ...ah - they seem to want PDF, that's seems more friendly
entirely.

- Rob