membership request

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 13 14:11:49 PDT 2007

Hi,
>>> using IVOA semantic tools in our aggressively pragmatic workflow.  I
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the workflow, Rob? Al's post seemed to imply that
>> inserting semantic tools anywhere would be too time-costly to be
>> worthwhile.
>
> That's not exactly what I meant, although I understand how it could be
> seen that way. There are certain VOEvent applications where we're not
> even using an XML parser because it's too much overhead. There are
> others where a few hours don't matter, and semantic tools could prove
> very useful (SNe candidates spring to mind). As ever
> mandating the use of such to get information out of the packet is
> something I'm against, so as always YMMV.
(Lights blue touch paper...)
So maybe it's time we started seriously thinking about a two-tier system
based on different serializations of the VOEvent data model. The
ultrafast layer uses a JSON representation of a VOEvent and TCP/V as the
transport protocol; the normal layer uses the standard XML
representation and the suite of protocols that we currently support.
(and retires)

    Cheers,

    Matthew