[nvo-techwg] Time series data

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 15:39:49 PDT 2007

I only asserted that STC *can* provide the functionality.
And, of course, it does that with minimal change to the VOEvent
standard and schema - that's leveraging capabilities that are already
built in.
Anyway, 437 bytes is peanuts compared to the 18 kB of your message ;-)

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Hola,
>
> So Doug says time series demand a standard VO-wide data model:
>
> >> Hence, at least for spectra (and probably also for time series),
> >> general multi-wavelength analysis requires mediation to a standard
> >> data model.
>
> And Arnold seems to assert that STC should provide that standard:
>
> > I put together an example that encodes the complete information
> > from IAUC 8653 in an STC-compatible WhereWhen - if only it would
> > allow multiple instances of ObsDataLocation (or, alternatively,
> > multiple instances of WhereWhen). There are three of them in this
> > example:
> > 1. The ASAS observations, providing time, position, and magnitude
> > 2. The Roalnd observations, again time, position, and magnitude
> > 3. The orbital elements for the parabolic orbit fit.
>
> ...which is to say that a VO time series would be a construct with
> the independent spatial and temporal variables wrapped around the
> dependent variables, e.g., photometry and spectroscopy and the
> characterization of moving bodies, but also things like
> asteroseismological data, or parameters embedded in time series
> embedded in columns of detection or source catalogs, or telemetry
> such as neutrino event coincidences and gravitational wavefronts, or
> presumably all time series of any other sort (movies of CMEs?)
>
> This sounds like an interesting philosophical discussion, but causes
> one to pause at the thought of making timely progress on various
> fronts, in particular those related to VOEvent.  Perhaps somebody can
> comment on the viability of multiple representations conforming to a
> common underlying DM?  Maybe the STC data model could serve as the
> underpinnings of a simplified VOEvent representation?  Or is DM
> really taken to mean "schema"?
>
> As far as multiple instances or other changes to <WhereWhen>, I think
> we can presume that a VOEvent v1.2 will be needed to adopt time
> series as well as other interesting features raised at the Hotwired
> workshop (although time series are more likely to appear under the
> <What> element methinks).  This is likely, however, to also leverage
> changes to STC as well as other standards such as UCDs.
>
> For instance, a time series will typically represent prior
> observations, but <WhereWhen> may typically be taken to represent
> targeting instructions for any general follow-up observer.  That is,
> targeting coordinates should not be colored by the
> ObservatoryLocation of past data.  Including this is basically
> requiring that all client code remove the same obsolete observatory
> signature.  Why not have the author/publisher do this once, not
> coincidentally simplifying the packet significantly?
>
> I am eager to seek a consensus that STC be used as the DM (and to
> represent) orbital elements.  However, is the proposal on the table
> really that every point in a light curve be represented like:
>
> >         <AstroCoords coord_system_id="UTC-ICRS-TOPO-VMAG">
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu