flux of events?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:18:54 PDT 2007

Hola,

As those who attended the Hotwired workshop will know, I've been
working on a demonstration robotic telescope.  This is really just a
single component in a larger autonomous system.  The first hurdle was
mechanical.  A little tinkering with gear boxes will tighten up the
motions of the telescope.  The next will be software.  So far I'm
very pleased with the new Java environment compared to the native
LabVIEW-based language.  After that is systems engineering to get
multiple components talking to each other.

The really hard part is developing curriculum.  This is intended to
be used for outreach of various sorts as well as to try out different
autonomous strategies.  As I consider what information it is I want
to convey, it has occurred to me that I don't have a good holistic
sense for what our transient universe looks like.

For instance, what is our best estimate of the hourly (or daily or
monthly) flux for different classes of objects throughout the
universe?  Supernovae are something like 10^2 per hour, right?  These
would have an isotropic distribution on the sky, correct?  Other
phenomena will align with the galactic plane or ecliptic, of course.
What about the rates for GRBs?  How about events local to the Milky
Way?  Solar system?  Classes of variable stars - prevalence and
detectability?  Etc and so forth.  Pointers to papers and web sites
would be delightful.

Alasdair - did you take a picture of la machine?

Rob