STC and XPath

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:29:15 PDT 2007

Ray Plante wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Matthew Graham wrote:
>> Now I thought that the whole point of using
>> elementFormDefault="unqualified" in the schema was that it allowed us
>> to use namespace-unaware XPath statements - clearly I'm missing
>> something.
>
> It requires that all imported schemas also use
> elementFormDefault="unqualified".  Since STC does not do this, it
> doesn't work for the STC elements.  If the voe schema does use it,
> then this xpath should work:
>
> /voe:VOEvent/WhereWhen/ObsDataLocation/stc:ObservationLocation/stc:AstroCoords/stc:Position2D/stc:Value2/stc:C1
>

> (which schema is ObsDataLocation in?  I forget.)
>
> The VOResource records have the same issue.  You can go sans prefix
> until you get to the STC bits.
>
> hope this helps,
> Ray

Hi Ray,

ObsDataLocation is actually also in STC. Since there is no hope of
getting STC to use elementFormDefault="unqualified" (even though it is
all in one namespace now), we're going to have change the instructions
we give out to people on how to parse VOEvents and make things a little
more complicated.

    Cheers,

    Matthew