VOEvent used for solar knowledge base

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 18 10:43:43 PDT 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:

> I wasn't expecting LMSAL to throw out their schema (although I
> wouldn't mind) - the point was to show that the conversion could be
> easily made, so LMSAL could easily produce a filter which converts
> their internal document to a public one so that they could publish
> the details in a VOEvent-compatible format outside the trivially
> generated but generally unparseable <Group>'s and <Param>'s.

We're conflating <What> and <How> here.  Grouped params are precisely
intended to provide a straightforward, general purpose mechanism in
the absence of a vast data model covering all possible astronomical
measurements.  Presumably purpose-specific schemata will emerge that
can later be plugged into the <What> element.  Params will remain as
an option with a low buy-in cost.  On the other hand, RTML addresses
the still complex, but more manageable, chore of describing how to
make those measurements.  In short - engineers are better behaved
than scientists.

Independent of VOEvent usage, it certainly seems productive for the
RTML community to wrestle with the requirements of novel
instrumentation on an ongoing basis.  At any rate, we should
encourage the VOEvent community to use RTML, but I don't think we can
require this.

> Hmmmm......  this would give us explicit structure, but I guess
> that this information is generally not needed for ground-based
> telescopes.   With SOHO, the telescopes all have to look in the
> same direction, so the organization via <Device> makes sense where as
>
> 	<Observatory name="ESO">
> 		<Site name="Cerro Paranal">
> 			<Telescope name="Antu"/>
> 			<Telescope name="Kueyen"/>
> 			<Telescope name="Melipal"/>
> 			<Telescope name="Yepun"/>
> 		</Site>
> 	</Observatory>
>
> is formally correct but who cares, at least for RTML, VOEvent or
> HTN purposes?    Well, maybe but just maybe for VLTI purposes, but
> then one could use
>
> 	<Device name="VLTI" type="interferometer">
> 		<Telescope name="Antu"/>
> 		<Telescope name="Kueyen"/>
> 		<Telescope name="Melipal"/>
> 		<Telescope name="Yepun"/>
> 	</Device>

The future of astronomy is as a systems of systems.  A configuration
like VLTI is tightly bound and the telescopes were predesigned to
work together as in the second example.  VOEvent and HTN are
heterogeneous by design, however.  Very diverse assets on one or more
mountaintops or space platforms might well be combined toward a joint
observing project with a common experimental design.  These assets
will not therefore constitute a single device, but simply function as
separate components in a loosely bound observing system.  (Or the
system might include compute and VO assets and spill over beyond
simply "observing".)  I don't think either example above captures the
essence of autonomous astronomy that we've been discussing for the
last couple of years.

Rob