International Years

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Apr 23 09:40:20 PDT 2007

I was predisposed to click over to the IHY site since I knew that
2005 was the World Year of Physics that that 2009 (the 400th
anniversary of Galileo's pointing a telescope upward) will be the
International Year of Astronomy.  Myself, I was born during the
grandpappy of such "Years", the IGY.  For more IYs, see:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_International_Years

For instance, 2008 will be the International Year of the Potato.
Freedom Fries for one and all!  Beware Darth Tater!  (http://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1SSOTnbKs)

This presents an opportunity for VO outreach in general, and for
VOEvent in particular.  Few astronomical topics are more accessible
to the public than things that go bump in the night.  It is precisely
cosmic cataclysms that bridge the incomprehensible cosmological
distances and vast aeons of time of the Carl Sagans and Stephen
Hawkings.

Rob
------