Clash of the Time Lords

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Nov 20 23:25:15 PST 2006

> I recommend you to pick up a copy of the December issue of the US
> magazine called "Harpers", and read the story "Clash of the Time
> Lords", featuring our very own Rob Seaman and Steve Allen. It is
> about leap seconds, leap years, and the Gregorian calendar, about
> the clash of astronomers and physicists, with Seaman leading the
> charge for the astronomers. It says that "Seaman's conversational
> and passionate listserv emails often bristle with provocative words
> and phrases".

All I have to say is:  Screw the physicists!

You should know that Steve and I owe it all to the motivational
speaking of the NVO Summer School faculty.  We were interviewed in
transit back from Aspen in September '05 – in my case in the food
court of the Denver airport.

You can calibrate the article from the author's description of me as
"slightly graying".  She also calls me "tall", which I can get behind
since it suggests that my 6'5" brother is outlandishly altitudinous.

Rob