eSTAR

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 09:06:59 PDT 2006

We have a bulging capacitor problem on the main eSTAR server in
Exeter. I'm currently in the process of moving all of the running
processes onto our back-up server, however this is going to be a big
job, and there may be brief outages during the process.

There will be fairly extensive internal disruption, however most of
this should not be visible from the outside. Predicted effects on the
currently managed public programmes are detailed below:

GRB Programme

One of the longest potential outage will be for the GRB programme as
the eSTAR GCN feed redirected from the Goddard end, as I have little
if any control over the time scale that this will be happening on.
I'll keep the feed on the main server up and running either until we
have switched over, or the machine dies, which ever comes first. If
the machine dies before we switch over, then we'll have an extended
outage. There is some potential for data loss.

Exo-planet Programme

Shouldn't be affected, although status return messages for one set of
observations will not make it back into the eSTAR system, the
observations will be taken and be available at the telescope. No data
will be lost.

VOEvent Network

The end point for the eSTAR event broker will be changing, I'll post
more details to the VOEvent mailing list when I know where it's going
to end up. There should be no other effects visible outside of the
internal eSTAR network. Since nobody except me is actually using
VOEvent operationally yet, there is no anticipated data loss.

RAPTOR Gateway

No effect, currently running on estar2.astro.ex.ac.uk rather than our
main server.

Apologies,
Al.