OGLE Event Timeline

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jul 31 11:18:55 PDT 2006

> Joshua Bloom wrote:
>>   Second, it makes almost no sense to put the timeline in terms of
>> when the message was issued (though you could allow the user to
>> toggle between issue and peak time).

I vote for user control over this.  The default should probably be
peak.  This is not always something that has been measured or is
measurable (or predictable).  In addition to the publishing timestamp
(what does "issue" mean?) and physically significant timestamps such
as peak flux, there is also a possible discovery timestamp.  I can
imagine a VOEvent subscriber or client application being interested
in any of these for various purposes, but the default interface
should reflect the key science use case(s) for the different event
streams.

Would also like to be able to filter an event stream based on
estimates of when a transient will no longer be visible using a
particular telescope and instrument, for instance.  These estimates
would typically require an exposure time calculator.

This time domain stuff is lots of fun!

>>    5. Some alerts are noted as especially interesting, maybe make
>> the blue dots blink for those events?
>
> Err, tricky. I'll have to think about that.

NO BLINK, no blink, NO BLINK - it's aNnOyInG.  How about a different
(user selectable) color?

Rob